I was skeptical at first, but I am honestly impressed. I think that this is the coolest thing I have come across since beginning this class. It it is completely interactive. I like how people can post to the little chat box in the corner, they can "applaud", and they can even participate in polls. I was a little freaked out about how the speaker can open new windows on your computer. It is pretty neat, to say the least. I liked how at the end there was a questions and answers section. The one big pro, of course, is that you can reach people in different countries. This is especially helpful for me since I live in Germany.
The one con I noticed is that it may be a bit too interactive. During this particular seminar, someone was drawing on the screen. So while the presenter was trying to deliver their powerpoint, you saw scribbling over the words. This was very rude, but could have been on accident. The only other downfall I can really see is that you can't really judge someone's feelings over the internet. Seeing her body movement on stage may get the point across better than just hearing her. There was a video up of her in the beginning, but it disappeared. I think there was a technical problem. This could be another con. It is the internet and things could go wrong.
Overall I do think it is great technology and can be very useful. Teachers could definately use this with their students. It would be kind of cool if our blackboard was set up in this way. This would be great, especially for discussion boards. It is hard to hold up a discussion, because to me it just feels like writing in a diary or something. Yes there are other people responding, but they are responding at all different times. I think all the elluminate could do is add to education, not take away from it.
With technology, we have to be flexible. We can't always control outside circumstances.
ReplyDelete